Monday, March 23, 2009

Materials, materials! So much out there and so little time!!

My first obstacle was choosing what type of study materials to use in preparation for the PHR/SPHR exam. Being a head hunter, all of my HR related training was minimal at best. A two-week intensive boot camp and then off to the races!  Through research, day-to-day activities, interviews and interactions with HR personnel over the last 2 years, I've gained some useful insight into the practice but no where near where I would confidently feel in a position to sit and successfully pass the exam. With the local college's and SHRM's certification study program so costly, I am also going to tempt fate with my own ability to prepare for the exam --Since I am financing my own certification process I have to empower myself with the best possible resources I can find to ensure success -- so the quandary, what study materials?

My weapons of choice:

PHR/SPHR - Professional in Human Resources Certification Study Guide, Third Edition by Anne M. Bogardus, SPHR (Read a lot of positive reviews for this.)

Human Resource Management, Eleventh Edition by Gary Dessler (A good up-to-date HR text book for looking up more detailed information in HR areas.)

and, last but not least - a cliff notes of sorts,

Human Resources Kit for Dummies by Max Messmer.

Here's to fruitful studying!

I've also visited the local community college where the SHRM prep course was offered to speak with the head person there and see if I can freely participate with any of their outside study groups. (If you cannot find a study group I highly recommend you start up one. Sharing of knowledge, ideas and also pep talks will help motivate you when the going gets tough.) While there I was enlightened to join the local SHRM chapter to network amongst the certified HR professionals and potentially explore career opportunities. With annual membership at $90, it may not be a bad idea at all.

Any way, back to hitting the books! I am going to skim through all the materials tonight to see exactly what I got myself into...





No comments:

Post a Comment