Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Go Getter...

Trying to join an already established study group would cost me some cash to participate because I either had to register into the SHRM study program at the local college in order to network or be a member of the local SHRM chapter. Since I am trying to conserve as much money as I can, I am going with creating my own study group. I began with posting adds in the local paper and and craigslist.com, but it is not stirring up any nearby attention. I need to do the study group and do it now. The exam is creeping closer and closer. Then...light bulb! Why not host my own virtual study group? Especially since I am lucky enough to have all the resources available to me. All I need is a computer, internet, and VoIP. Check, check and check! Plus, I also have access to an online meeting place via gotomeeting.com! And, who doesn't like the benefit of conducting a study group out of the comfort of one's own home? Now I can connect with any one who is interested and I'm not bound by distance! I've posted a discussion on the HR focus groups in linkedin.com. I've noticed that there had been much comments on PHR study groups in the past and just recently. Hopefully I will be able to form a group that will be interested and consistent in meeting Mondays and/or Thursdays at 8 pm EST. It would be great to have others to share and diversify your study materials and bounce off ideas and questions. Also, more than anything for me...some one else to help me focus and be accountable. Life happens and then you get tired and want to go to sleep. Especially since I was up at 4:45 am this morning to get ready and prep for a networking meeting I had to attend about an hour's time away. One awesome benefit, the sun rising over the valley as I drove up and over the mountains! What a beautiful and invigorating sight!

(Side note, does any one have any contacts at Mercer who you could introduce to me? Preferably within the T&A team? I would love to be referred into Mercer. I have many top notch actuarial candidates but no way in as of yet. Well, that is another hurdle and many phone calls I will have to face tomorrow.)

Well, here is to tonight's study time 10-12. I am still attempting to conquer Strategic Management.

No comments:

Post a Comment