Thursday, April 8, 2010

Chapter 3: Creating a Life Plan

It's been almost a month since I was laid off. So with 4 weeks worth of researching different companies, filling out applications, revising and sending out resumes and cover letters and making follow up calls, I've received 1 phone interview and 13 "thanks but no thanks" emails or phone calls. I've applied to more than 40 companies, and counting, so hopefully I'll attract better interest at one of the other companies. Needless to say, being rejected is no fun. SOOO, for the weary and light of heart, if you can't work, then VOLUNTEER!! :)

So this past week, I've been catching up on some of my volunteering projects. One great benefit of volunteering is that it's great for the soul! Being able to help some one, some how, makes you feel awesome. So, my fellow unemployed friends, lift up another's spirit while lifting your own, go volunteer! And, in volunteering, you can also pick up some valuable experience or good references to add onto your resume as well. It's a win-win!

And so, I am working on creating a life plan... Onto the questions!

1. I believe it is realistic to expect a job to provide more than a paycheck. If work takes up the majority of your time, why not have it be able to pay your bills and be fun at the same time?

2. My sense of calling is to serve. Whatever capacity that is in, I was put on this earth to be of some type of service to help people, whether it be family, friends, colleagues or even strangers. It gives me a sense of purpose and that makes me happy.

3. God calls every one, whether they hear it or not, it's up to them to listen and act upon it.

4. It is reasonable to expect your work to be a part of the fulfillment of your calling. Knowing that will allow you to excel in the position your in. You're not just performing that function but you're glorifying your maker in that function. Attitude determines altitude.

5. Although I am currently non-employed, I was in Human Resources with specialty in Recruitment. Not to be boastful, but because I enjoy the work, I am quite good at it.

6. This year, success would mean a full-time HR Generalist position within a dynamic and growing company, relatively close to my home.

7. I was where I had imagined myself up until the point I got laid off. But, onward and upward.

8. A job is not the only defining purpose in my life. Being a good mother and wife also gives me a great sense of meaning, purpose and accomplishment every day.

9. Finding another job will allow our household a chance of accomplishing our financial goal - living debt free.

No comments:

Post a Comment